10.03.2011

Curb that yelling :: Day 3 [31 days to being a better mama]

2.  Go the whole day without yelling at your children. 

Gulp.

Do you have a two year old?

This is a tough one.  But check out this 411:

I have to say, the Australian Parenting & Child Health Network?  Had a good list.  

Children need:
  • to feel loved
  • to feel secure
  • to feel safe
  • to feel that they are worthwhile
  • to feel caring limits
  • to feel that they can succeed at some things
  • to feel that they can contribute - be helpful
  • opportunities to explore and try new things.

So, I did it. I went a day without yelling.  Difficult with a two year old.  But doable.  Sometimes its just that the only way he will listen is to yelling.  {And if you are a mom that is right now saying, "but my little miss (or mister) always listens, withhout any yelling"?  Kudos to you.  And please forward me the name of your child psychologist/brain washer.}

And you want to know what happened?  I had heard about this before. Quite the phenomenon.  

He listened.  

Yikes.  Maybe I should try this again? 


If you are just joining in, please be sure to check out my 31 days to being a better mama page for previous posts. 


4 comments:

ashley @ the 29th floor said...

I give you props!! I can't even go a day without yelling at my dog! I might be in for a rude awakening when it comes time to be a parent! This is a great little series, can't wait to see the rest! :)

Unknown said...

following your blog from the tag along. Such a great series you are doing!

Unknown said...

following your blog from the tag along. Such a great series you are doing!

Jennifer said...

Wow, I am so glad to hear someone else say that it seems that her child only listens when the yelling starts. My son is that way. I can ask him to do something nicely a thousand times but he doesn't actually get up to move until I yell. Though as I am trying really hard to yell less, I find he responds well to a timed challenge (ex: last time you got your shoes on in 3 minutes, let's see if you can beat that this time or since our timer will also run up like a stop-watch, I can have him do something and see how long it takes him rather than making him stress about beating the clock every time)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...