10.06.2011

Treat them their age :: Day 6 [31 days to being a better mama]

5.  Tell yourself, "He's only ___ years old.  He's still a child."  Then, treat him that way. 




He is only 2 years old.  Smart kid, but I need to remind myself that he IS only 2.

The milestone chart from babycenter.com for 25-30 months is a good place to remind me what he SHOULD be doing at this age.  Brushing teeth with help.  Check.  Washing and Drying own hands. Check.  Draws a vertical line?  Will have to test that one out.

But the point is...he isn't supposed to know that it isn't right to pour all of your toys out of their storage bin just because.

He's not supposed to sit silently and patiently through a five course meal.

He's not even supposed to recite his own name (mastered skill at 31-32 months).

He's supposed to jump with both feet.  Check.

He's supposed to be able to open doors.  Check.  {and not always a good thing}

He's supposed to be able to stack six blocks.  {and topple them over too?  does that get extra points?}  Check.

It's time to take it back to the basics, and remind ourselves that our children AREN'T adults.  And then treat them like toddlers.  We get frustrated with immature adults.  But immature children?  They are supposed to be immature.

Because they are still learning the basics.

If you are just joining me, please be sure to check out my 31 days to being a better mama page for previous posts. 

15 comments:

Lena B, Actually said...

New follower {Tag-Along Thursday Blog Hop}
Sounds like your little guy is doing great! 2 was such a sweet age! My little man is turning 6 tomorrow! Time flies! :)

E @ Act Fast Chef said...

All good points! I need to remind myself about this when I get frustrated by my Toddler!

Sarah {the fontenot four} said...

Hi! New follower from the Tag-Along Thursday Blog Hop!

Cat said...

New follower from Tag-Along Thursday -- I'm really looking forward to this series - we're having a lot of struggles right now and I'm looking for any and all advice!

Pidg said...

New follower from Tag-A-Long blog hop :)
This post made me laugh. My oldest is 18, my youngest is 7, with four more in the middle.

Teenagers: Don't clean up after themselves...check. Talk back...check. Make me laugh when I should be sending them to their room...check. See we're both on target with our kids! Haha! Love this sweet post :)

Tamara Camera said...

I agree. I like to let my 27-month-old be a kid as long as she possibly can...

Anonymous said...

new follower from the blog hop! nice to meet you :)

Stacie said...

Love this. I forget it way too often, especially with my oldest.

Sunshine Blossoms said...

I found you on Miss Mommy's blog hop and I am definitely going to in on to 31 days to being a better mommy. Awesome idea and something I have been so convicted of lately! Perfect timing. :) Thanks for doing this--can't wait to challenge myself with it.

Cat said...

Great post! Funny, but I think we're a lot harder on #2 than we were on #1 at this age, because #2 talks SO well that he just seems like a little man. #1 was barely using words at 2. Sometimes when they "seem" so grown up it's hard to remember how tiny they really are - that only a year ago he couldn't even walk! Thanks so much for the reminder!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Great advice and awesome post! He is so cute!

Found you thru Miss Mommy’s Blog hop! I’m your newest follower! Can’t wait to sit down and look around! Have a great day!!

Kristine
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Such great tips! Thanks so much for this, Im in on it too!
Katie
Punkin Heads and Dooda Loos

Em @ And Nothing Else Matters said...

Such a true post. It is so easy to forget that they are only little. Such a great reminder! Thank so much for joining in on our Tag-Along Thursday blog hop, I am now a new follower of your fab blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great post, and has really made me look at the same thing with my little boy (he is 18 months) I have not logged into Babycentre for ages...better go and have a look

Jennifer said...

My son is so "mature" for his age and he's big too. And I spend all day every day with him. So I forget that he's only 5. I have trouble maneuvering this life and I have 38 years of experience. I have to stop and remember that he just doesn't know how to *be* yet. Some days my mantra is exactly what you wrote there. "He's only 5, he's only 5, he's only 5"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...