8.24.2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday? Chicken Fried Rice!

Eventually maybe I will share a difficult or involved recipe here.  


Maybe not.  That's just not the way I roll. 


At least not yet.  


Today's recipe came through an email to our Mums & Toddlers group from one of the members.  So GLAD it came through. It is easy, FAST and has just a few ingredients.  


What else can you ask for?  Oh, probably taste too. 


Well, no worries then.  It is delicious. 


The recipe?  Chicken Fried Rice.  Perhaps that would be easy enough for most people to make without a recipe.  But I need a recipe for just about everything. 
First, the ingredients.  This is all folks.  


  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups cooked white rice, cold
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup cooked, chopped chicken meat

What to do with it all? 
  1. In a small bowl, beat egg with water. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add egg and leave flat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and cut into shreds.
  2. Heat oil in same skillet; add onion and saute until soft. Then add rice, soy sauce, pepper and chicken. Stir fry together for about 5 minutes, then stir in egg. Serve hot.



So this recipe is fast (as long as you cooked the rice earlier in the day).  So fast I barely had time to get photos of the process. I got a few egg photos.  One of it cooking in the pan and  one of it cooked and in a bowl.  But I think ya'll know what that looks like.  


I also got a photo of one of the other eggs in the carton I bought (watch for a Wordless Wednesday post shortly with that).


Here though, is the essential photo in an recipe post.  The finished product. 
I know it looks bland, but it doesn't taste bland. 


Want proof? 
Numnumnum. 


Today's recipe has become probably the favorite recipe in this house in literally the last five days.  I made it for the first time on Sunday, and then since I had enough leftover ingredients we had it again on Monday night!  Which means, folks, the husband likes it.  


Oh, and the best thing I have found at the grocery store in the past week? 
kipreepjes gerookt = smoked chicken strips 

We have been here for ten months now, and I am STILL making discoveries.  This most definitely made my day.  One of my favorite convenience foods that I thought I was going to have to live without for as long as we are here. Oh, woe is me, right? Ha. 

Oh well.  It DID make my day.  

Even if J#3 was about five feet away throwing random bakery goods(that I didn't recognize) into the cart.  

So, what is your favorite convenience food?  The one you would have a hard time living without? 

Of course, as I do every Wednesday, I am linking up with Heather over at Life as we know it with Two Twinkies and a Tator Tot.  Oh, and seriously check out her recipe. It looks delish.  Please try it and let me know how it turns out.  Won't be made in this house...a certain person doesn't do pineapples.  And that person isn't me. 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...