4.11.2011

Start over?

Children make you want to start life over.  ~Muhammad Ali



Well, I am not sure I am 100% on board with Mr. Ali.  I can't imagine there are many people who really want to go through junior high (at all), braces and speech class again.  Hmm.  Hold up. I was a Speech Communication major in college.  What was I thinking??  Purposely subject myself to more speech classes?  Yes, I did.


And how about having to run the mile in gym class?  Dreaded it.  Was about to get out of it.  Still dreaded it. 


Anyhoo...back to the subject at hand.  


When I first grabbed this quote, I was in total agreement.  There are a few things that I can think of that I would want to "start over" (more on those in a bit).  But generally, I don't really agree with his statement. 


First, like previously mentioned, who wants to subject themselves to the less enjoyable parts of childhood?


Second, I don't have many regrets.  Well, except for a few hairstyles. Too bad I don't have a scanner or I would share some scary photos I have recently unearthed.  I may have made mistakes in the past, but I have learned from each and every one of them. Making mistakes teaches you. 


Third,  what if my life wouldn't have ended up the way it is right at this moment? 


The few things that I would start over are:  eating better, watching less TV, and being more active.  In fact, I am "starting over" on these items as we speak.  Guess that is one of the advantages of a whole new environment.  Hopefully, by watching me, our kids will learn to be active, eat well (would probably be helpful if J#3 would be willing to eat more than chicken fries and pizza), and read or play instead of watching TV.   


What do you think?  Do you agree or disagree with Mr. Ali?  Maybe I am taking it too seriously.  Perhaps he just says that because of all of the playing kids get to do.  









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...