5.20.2011

Living in the Moment

Rushing, rushing, rushing.  Due to a bit of procrastination on my part, I have been rushing around for the last hour and a half getting everything packed that is needed for a four day trip to Dublin with two adults, a two-year-old and three-month-old.  Whew.  Done, with about 20 minutes to spare.


As I was rushing, I was getting frustrated.  Frustrated with myself for not getting stuff packed sooner (although to my defense, a lot of it is stuff that can't be packed ahead of time).  Frustrated with J#3 because his toys were all over the family room floor and I had to work around them (luckily I missed stepping on any matchbox cars.  whew!).  Frustrated with J#4 because she chose right then to be fussy (which is not a usual occurrence for her).


You see that tab up near the top of the page?  The one that says "1000 gifts"?  It helped turn my attitude around today.  


One of the items on my bucket list is to write a list of 1000 gifts.  The idea comes from a book that was published, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp.  


I am a planner.  If you have known me for any amount of time, you have likely figured that out by now.  So, I spend a lot of time looking forward to the next trip, the next week, the next...whatever.  Writing a list of one thousand gifts, that I have RIGHT NOW, helps me to live more in the now.  


To appreciate the spontaneous hugs from J#3, the smiles from J#4 and the fact that in less than 24 hours, I will be in a new city, discovering new sights with some good friends and my precious family. 


So watch for more items to be added to that list, and I will let you know when I get to 1000.  Because that means I get to check another item off the bucket list! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...