1.17.2011

More than just the bucket list...

So, even though at this point I haven't published this URL anywhere, for anyone other than my husband (I am going to have to think of a cute nickname for him--any suggestions?) to read, I am going to make a change.  The original intent was to talk about my bucket list.  The creation of it, the reasons for the items on it, and the best part--how I actually am able to cross items of it.  But, there are just some days (especially when nine months pregnant and running after a twenty-two month old) when work on the bucket list can't be accomplished.  But, alas, I still want to write and tell you something interesting about my day.

I mean, after all, I have moved across an ocean and am living on an entirely different continent than I have for the rest of my life.  So there be stories or tips I can share to help other expats along their journey.  Or at least funny or interesting stories to share along our journey.

And so it begins.

Today my son and I became "official".  Official residents of the Netherlands, that is.   We moved here mid-October, and the husband got his residency card one of our first days in the country since they had started the immigration process before we even left the U.S.  Evidently, if that isn't done it takes about three months (based on our experience) to go through the process of registering in your city, working with immigration to get them all of the pertinent details and finally, visiting the immigration office and picking up your card.  That was the our task for the day.  JJ Bear (as my son will affectionally be referred to going forward-at least for now) was evidently excited about becoming a resident, and he decided he wanted to hang out with the woman who gave us our cards and chat (never mind that he says about 15 words--and not on demand).  I literally had to pick him up out of the seats we were sitting in and lead him out of the office.  And this being a little guy who does not sit still very often--especially when "out and about".

After our visit to the immigration office, we of course went and celebrated with a thoroughly Dutch meal for lunch:  Subway.  Okay, I kid, I kid.  No, really, we went to Subway.  Not Dutch at all--VERY, VERY American.  I was going to take a photo of the sub, because this sandwich artist (remind me sometime to tell you about my days as a sandwich artist) was impressive, but I ate it too fast.

So there you have it.  We are now Netherlands residents.  I am left wondering what we were for the last three months??  On vacation?  Sure didn't feel like it.

Oh, and the Bucket List--I have started on my journey on one of the items: reading the bible in 90 days.  Although I am on my 3rd day and already getting behind, so I better head off to do that now.  Are you wondering why I have that added to my list?  Because even though I went through eight years of Catholic school and spend two + years involved in youth group, I have yet to read through the bible from beginning to end.  Just seems like something that I should do.  So it is on my list.  And seems like more than just something on a standard "to do" list, so it goes on the bucket list.

More on the "to do" list vs. "bucket list" tomorrow.  Night all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...